Tag Archives: euc

VMware EUC Access Point appliance – Name resolution not working after deployment

As part of a project, I had to deploy a VMware EUC Access Point appliance. Nothing fancy, because the awesome VMware Access Point Deployment Utility makes it easy to deploy.

Unfortunately, the deployed Access Point appliance was not working as expected. When I tried to access my Horizon View infrastructure behind the Access Point appliance, I got a HTTP 504 error. The REST API interface was working. I was able to exclude invalid certificates, routing, or firewall policies. I re-deployed the appliance using the the IP address of the connection server, instead of the FQDN. And this worked… I checked the name resolution with nslookup and the name resolution failed. So that was probably the problem.

One per line

To make a long story short: The DNS server, I entered in the VMware Access Point Deployment Utility, were added in a single line to the /etc/resolv.conf

This is wrong, even if the VMware Access Point Deployment Utility claims something different.

euc_deployment_dns

Patrick Terlisten/ www.vcloudnine.de/ Creative Commons CC0

There must be a single “nameserver” entry for each DNS server.

You can easily change this after the deployment. Add only one DNS server during the deployment, and then add the second DNS server after the deployment.

I would like to highlight, that Chris Halstead mentioned this behaviour a year ago in his blog post “VMware Access Point Deployment Utility“. Chris is the author of the Deployment Utility.

Screen resolution scaling has stopped working after Horizon View agent update

Another inconvenience that I noticed during the update process from VMware Horizon View 6.1.1 to 6.2 was, that the automatic screen resizing stopped working. When I connected to a desktop pool with the VMware Horizon client, I only got the screen resolution of the VM (the resolution that is used when connecting to the VM with the vSphere console)), not 1920×1200 as expected. This issue only occured with PCoIP, not with RDP. I had this issue with a static desktop and a dynamic desktop pool, and it occurred after updating the Horizon View agent. The resolution scaling worked with a Windows 2012 R2 RDS host, when I connected to a RDS with PCoIP.

VMware KB1018158 (Configuring PCoIP for use with View Manager) did not solved the problem. I checked the VMX version, the video RAM config etc. Nothing has changed, everything was configured as expected. At this point it was clear to me, that this must be an issue with the Horizon View agent. I took some snapshots and tried to reinstall the Horizon View agent. I removed the Horizon View agent and the VMware tools from one of my static desktops. After a reboot, I installed the VMware tools and then the Horizon agent. To my surprise, this first attempt has solved the problem. I tried the same with my second static desktop pool VM and with the master VM of my dynamic desktop pool (don’t forget to recompose the VMs…). This workaround has fixed the problem in each case.

I don’t know if this is a bug. I haven’t found any hints in the VMware Community forum or blogs. Maybe someone knows the answer.

VMware Horizon View agent update on RDS host fails with “Internal Error 25030”

I’m running a small VMware Horizon View environment in my lab. Nothing fancy, but all you need to show what Horizon View can do for you. This environment includes a Windows Server 2012 R2 RDS host. During the update process from Horizon View 6.1.1 to 6.2, I had to update the View agent on this RDS host. This update installation failed with an “Internal Error 25030”, followed by a rollback. Fortunately I had a snapshot, so I went back to the previous state and tried the update again. This attempt also went awry.

To make a long story short: Read the fscking release notes! This quote is taken from the Horizon View 6.2 release notes:

When you upgrade View Agent 6.1.1 to View Agent 6.2 on an RDS host running on Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2, the upgrade fails with an “Internal Error 25030” message.
Workaround: Uninstall View Agent 6.1.1, restart the RDS host, and install View Agent 6.2.

And this is not the first time that this error occurred. I found this quote in the the Horizon View 6.1.1 release notes:

When you upgrade View Agent 6.1 to View Agent 6.1.1 on an RDS host running on Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2, the upgrade fails with an “Internal Error 25030” message.
Workaround: Uninstall View Agent 6.1, restart the RDS host, and install View Agent 6.1.1

If you take a closer look at these two statements, you might notice some similarities… But I do not want to be spiteful. The workaround did the trick. Simply uninstall the View agent (if it’s still installed after the rollback… that was not the case with me), reboot and reinstall the View agent.