Vembu Technologies was founded in 2002, and with 60.000 customers and more than 4000 partners, Vembu is a leading provider with a comprehensive portfolio of software products and cloud services to small and medium businesses.
Last week, Vembu has announced the availability of Vembu BDR Suite v4.0! Vembu’s new release is all about maintaining business continuity and ensuring high availability. Apart from new features, this release features significant enhancements and bug fixes that are geared towards performance improvement.
The Vembu BDR Suite
The Vembu BDR Suite is an one stop solution to all your backup and disaster recovery needs. That is what Vembu says about their own product. The BDR Suite covers
- Backup and replication of VMs running on VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V
- Backup and bare-metal recovery for physical servers and workstations (Windows Server and Desktop)
- File and application backups of Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Outlook, and MySQL
- Creating of backup copies and transfer of them to a DR site
More blog posts about Vembu:
What’s new in 4.0?
Vembu BDR Suite v4.0 has got some pretty nice new features. IMHO, there are four highlights:
- Hyper-V Failover Cluster Support for Backup & Recovery
- Shared VHDX Backup
- Hyper-V Checksum Based Incremental, and the
- Credential Manager
There is a significat chance that you use a Hyper-V Failover Cluster if you have more than one Hyper-V host. With v4.0 Vembu added support for backup and recovery for the VMs residing in a Hyper-V Failover Cluster. Even if the VMs running on Hyper-V cluster move from one host to another, the backups will continue to run without any interruption.
A feature, that I’m really missing in VMware and Veeam, is the support for the backup shared VHDX files. v4.0 added support for this.
Vembu BDR Suite v4.0 also added support bot performing incremental backups with Hyper-V. They call it Checksum based incremental method, but it is in fact Change Block Tracking. An important feature for Hyper-V customers!
The Vembu Credential Manager allows you to store the necessary credentials at one place, use it everywhere inside the Vembu BDR Suite v4.0.
But there are also other, very nice enhancements.
- Handling new disk addition for VMware ESXi and Hyper-V, which allows the backup of newly added disks at the next backup. In prioir releases, newly added disks were only backuped during the next full backup.
- Reconnection for VMware ESXi and Hyper-V jobs in case of a dropped network connection
- Application-wware processing for Hyper-V VMs can now enabled on a per-VM basis
- API for VM list with Storage utilization report which allows you to generate detailed reports whenever you need one
- Veeam B&R backup failes with “No scale-out repository extents are available” - February 24, 2021
- WatchGuard Network Security Essentials Exam - January 19, 2021
- VCAP-DCV Design 2021 – Objective 1.1 Gather and analyze business requirements - January 5, 2021