Customers that use HPE 3PAR StoreServs with 3PAR OS 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 and VMware ESXi 5.5 U2 or later, might notice one or more of the following symptoms:
- hosts lose connectivity to a VMFS5 datastore
- hosts disconnect from the vCenter
- VMs hang during I/O operations
- you see the messages like these in the vobd.log or vCenter Events tab
Lost access to volume <uuid><volume name> due to connectivity issues. Recovery attempt is in progress and the outcome will be reported shortly
- you see the following messages in the vmkernel.log
ATS Miscompare detected beween test and set HB images at offset XXX on vol YYY
2015-11-20T22:12:47.194Z cpu13:33467)ScsiDeviceIO: 2645: Cmd(0x439dd0d7c400) 0x89, CmdSN 0x2f3dd6 from world 3937473 to dev "naa.50002ac0049412fa" failed H:0x0 D:0x2 P:0x0 Valid sense data: 0xe 0x1d 0x0.
If you have trouble and you can update, you can use this workaround. Disable ATS heartbeat for VMFS5 datastores. VMFS3 datastores are not affected by this issue. To disable ATS heartbeat, you can use this PowerCLI one-liner:
Get-AdvancedSetting -Entity hostname -Name VMFS3.UseATSForHBOnVMFS5 | Set-AdvancedSetting -Value 0 -Confirm:$false
But there is also a solution. Most vendors have published firwmare updates for their products. HPE has released
- 3PAR OS 3.2.2 MU3
- 3PAR OS 3.2.2 EMU2 P33, and
- 3PAR OS 3.2.1 EMU3 P45
All three releases of 3PAR OS include enhancements to improve ATS heartbeat. Because 3PAR OS 3.2.2 has also some nice enhancements for Adaptive Optimization, I recommend to update to 3PAR OS 3.2.2.
Feel free to follow him on Twitter and/ or leave a comment.
Latest posts by Patrick Terlisten (see all)
- Supported Active Directory environments for Microsoft Exchange - September 7, 2019
- Microsoft Exchange 2013/ 2016/ 2019 shows blank ECP & OWA after changes to SSL certificates - September 7, 2019
- What’s new in Vembu BDR Suite v4.0.1 - September 1, 2019