Nearly a month ago, a tweet caught my attention:
New Blog Post: Discounted VCP7-DTM Beta Exam for a Limited Time https://t.co/IkwLTDdvO5
— VMware Edu Services (@VMwareEducation) October 4, 2016
These beta exams are a cost-effective way to achieve certifications. The last beta exam I took, was the VCP6-DCV beta. Because I already had the VCP6-DTM on my to-do list, the new VCP7-DTM beta exam was released just in the right moment.
As already mentioned in the blog post of the VMware Education and Certification Blog, there are primarly three reasons to take this beta exam:
- get certified
- low costs (only 50 USD)
- identify strengths and weaknesses
Beside of this, VMware can test the questions and is getting feedback to increase the quality of their exams.
The beta exam preparation guide is quite comprehensive. Desktop and Mobility (DTM) is not only about VMWare Horizon View. VMware Horizon Mirage, App Volumes, User Environment Manager, Thin App, IDM/ Workspace are also part of the exam.
Section 1 – Install and Configure Horizon Server Components
- Objective 1.1 – Describe techniques to prepare environment for Horizon
- Objective 1.2 Determine procedures to install Horizon Components
- Objective 1.3 – Determine steps to configure Horizon Components
- Objective 1.4 – Analyze End User Requirements for Display Protocol Performance Knowledge
- Objective 1.5 – Diagnose and solve issues related to connectivity between Horizon Server Components
Section 2 – Create and Configure Pools
- Objective 2.1 – Configure and Manage Horizon Pools
- Objective 2.2 – Build and Customize RDSH Server and Desktop Images
Section 3 – Configure and Administer VMware Mirage
- Objective 3.1 – Install and Configure Mirage Components
- Objective 3.2 – Configure and Manage Mirage layers
- Objective 3.3 – Configure and Manage Mirage Endpoints
Section 4 – Configure and Manage Identity Manager
- Objective 4.1 – Install and Configure VMware Identity Manager
- Objective 4.2 – Manage VMware Identity Manager
Section 5 – Configure and Manage User Environment Manager
- Objective 5.1 – Install and Configure VMware User Environment Manager
- Objective 5.2 – Manage VMware User Environment Manager
Section 6 – Configure and Manager App Volumes
- Objective 6.1 – Install and Configure VMware App Volumes
- Objective 6.2 – Manage VMware AppStacks and writeable Volumes
Section 7 – Configure vRealize Operations for Horizon
- Objective 7.1 – Manage VMware Workspace Portal
The preparation guide outlines some documents, which can be used to preapre for the exam. Although I’m working with Horizon View on a regular base, I had some “blind spots”. I used the official documentation and my lab to prepare for the exam.
The exam contained 175 questions, and I had 245 minutes to answer all the questions. I arrived early at the test center, because I had booked the first available slot for that day. I did not expect to be able to answer all the questions. View, Mirage, App Volumes, Workspace and IDM were the main topics, only a few questions about ThinApp and vROps for Horizon. Many questions were about administrative topics, where to click to achieve something, or where a specific option is located. There were also some questions about requirements, supported databases etc. As far as I can judge, these were all fair questions. If you have intensivly studied the documentation, you have do not have to fear this exam. Experience in administration is a great plus.
I really do not know if I have passed it. It will take some time. The results will be available after the beta phase. If I don not passed, I have at least gained experience.
- WatchGuard Network Security Essentials Exam - January 19, 2021
- VCAP-DCV Design 2021 – Objective 1.1 Gather and analyze business requirements - January 5, 2021
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional 6.5 – Data Center Virtualization Design Exam (VCAP-DCV Design 2021) - January 3, 2021